The University of Dubuque is proud to participate in the following eligible programs:

  • Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (Chapter 30)
  • Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
  • Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) **
  • Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation - Veterans with Disabilities (Chapter 31)
  • The University of Dubuque participates in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program.

The University of Dubuque VA CERTIFYING OFFICIAL is Kim Wulfekuhle-Isaac. She can be reached at 563.589.3178 or via email at

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education and benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at:


  1. Visit the GI Bill® website to apply online and learn more about education benefit descriptions and payment rates. If you have already applied and would like to know the status of your application, please call 1-888-GI-BILL-1 and speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor.
  2. Once you have been approved, you will be sent a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). This will provide you with the chapter of benefits for which you are eligible, and the rate of pay you will receive. You will need to provide a copy of this letter to the VA Certifying Official at the University of Dubuque.
  3. If you are a current service member who would like to Transfer Chapter 33 benefits to a dependent, please review the information at the following link: Post-9/11 GI Bill® Transferability.
  4. All military personnel contact your Education Service Office (ESO), Military counselor or service prior to enrollment.


To begin using your GI Bill® benefit at the University of Dubuque, please submit the following forms to Kim Isaac.

  1. UD-VA Education Benefit Enrollment Form (this document must be submitted every academic year and can be found in the sidebar)
  2. Certificate of Eligibility (If you have not received your COE from the VA yet, please submit the UD Enrollment form for processing. Your COE can be submitted to us once you receive it from the VA.)


  1. Each Month: Confirm your enrollment with the VA (not necessary for Chapter 33 recipients) - this normally requires a phone call to the Education Call Center at 888.442.4551 or 800.827.1000.
  2. Each Academic Year: Submit the UD-VA Education Benefit Enrollment Form (found in the blue sidebar).

PLEASE NOTE: If you withdraw from one or more of your classes it could affect your eligibility for VA Benefits. It is your responsibility to notify the VA Certifying Official if you add/drop any courses during the semester.


Am I eligible for VA Educational Benefits?
Only the VA can determine your eligibility for benefits. Review the program details at and apply online, or call a VA counselor at 888.GI.BILL.1 (888.442.4551).

Does the VA pay my full tuition?
No. The VA will pay you a compensatory benefit to help offset the cost of school. Certain GI Bill® chapters make tuition payments directly to the university, while others make the payments directly to you on a monthly basis. You are responsible for paying your tuition and fees in order to maintain continuous enrollment according to the policies stated in our academic catalog and student handbook.

Can I receive regular financial aid while receiving VA benefits?
Yes. You may be eligible for additional financial aid - please contact Mark Munson ( or 563.589.3702) for more information.

I took courses while in the military, how do I request a transcript for those courses be sent to the University of Dubuque?
If you served in the Army, National Guard, Marine Corps, or Navy you may request a transcript online at

If you served in the Air Force, you may request a transcript at:

How long will it take to receive my Veteran benefits?
New claims typically take from 8-12 weeks for the VA to process - sometimes longer depending on current processing volume. Note: The VA is generally overwhelmed with claims at the beginning of each semester. Always allow the VA 6-8 weeks to process any change in your claim. Once your initial claim is processed, you will receive your payments monthly, as applicable.

What changes should I report to the VA Certifying Official at the University of Dubuque?
To avoid delays or overpayment of VA education benefits, each VA benefit recipient is responsible for reporting any changes in status to the VA Certifying Official, including:

  • Change of Address
  • Change of Major
  • Change in Enrollment Status (e.g. drop from full to part-time, or withdrawal from a course
  • Complete Withdrawal from School

You may contact Kim Wulfekuhle-Isaac, VA Certifying Official at 563.589.3178 or

Will I automatically receive benefits next semester?

No. The UD-VA Education Benefit Enrollment Form (found in the blue sidebar) must be completed at the start of each academic year. The VA Certifying Official will then contact you via your UD email account to ask if you wish to continue utilizing your benefits for the spring or summer terms. Once you respond, she will then review your program of study and certify that the courses are required to complete the degree program. This certification is then sent to the Regional Processing Office.

PLEASE NOTE: Your UD email address is the official method of communication. It is important you watch your email for important communications, including updates on your VA Education Benefits.

Does the University of Dubuque offer disability services?
Yes, please contact Pamela Crawford at 563.589.3218 or email

Does the University of Dubuque offer career services and resume assistance?
Yes, please contact Ellen Carr at 563.589.3167 or email

Does the University of Dubuque offer student financial planning assistance?
Yes, contact Mark Munson at 563.589.3702 or email

Does the University of Dubuque offer academic advising?
Yes, all first year students meet with Keisha Schroeder, Director of Academic Advising, at 563.589.3106 or email

Section 103 Compliance Policy
All students that have completed the UD-VA Education Benefit Enrollment Form, submitted their COE and have been certified by the University, will not be restricted in any way for the first 90 days of a semester if the reason for the delay in making payments for the certified semester is due to a delay in receipt of benefits from the VA. This will include assessing late fees, placing restrictions or registration holds. After the 90 days, the University will treat each veteran on a case by case basis.

Have more questions?
If you have additional questions, many can be answered at the Federal VA Frequently Asked Questions site. Or feel free to contact Kim Wulfekuhle-Isaac (VA Certifying Official at 563.589.3178 or, Mark Munson (Student Financial Planner at or Rick Ernst (Veterans Admission and Assistance Coordinator at