1. What GPA do I need to be accepted for admission to the University of Dubuque?
    You will need a GPA of 2.0 or higher in your most recent college course work.

  2. Will my old GPA transfer?
    No. Credits will transfer to the University of Dubuque, but grade point averages from other institutions will not transfer.

  3. What application and supporting documents are needed?
    Application for admission (UD online application or The Common Application), final official high school transcript, ACT/SAT scores (optional), and final official college transcripts from each institution attended. Official transcripts have to be sent directly from each college you attended to the University of Dubuque Office of Admission.

  4. How will I know how many credits transfer?
    The Registrar's Office will complete an evaluation of your transfer credits upon your acceptance for admission. Official college transcripts are required for this process. To learn how your credits may transfer to UD, please use Transferology.

  5. What is the application deadline?
    Because the University of Dubuque uses a rolling admission process, you receive an admission decision soon after your application for admission is complete.

  6. What grades and GPA do I need for credits to transfer in?
    The University of Dubuque will accept all courses passed at a regionally accredited bachelor's degree-granting institution, provided the overall grade average for those courses is 2.0 or better. If the student's cumulative grade point average (GPA) at the institution from which the credits are transferred is less than 2.0, the University will accept only credit for courses in which grades earned were C or better.

    Transfer students should note that courses deemed equivalent to the skills courses of the UD General Education Curriculum will not transfer to the University of Dubuque with a grade of less than C, independent of the cumulative grade point average for all transferring credits:
      COM 101- Speech Communication
      ENG 101 Composition and Rhetoric
      MATH 111-Collegiate Math or higher level math course equivalent 
      RES 104- Research Writing

  7. What happens to credits that DON'T transfer?
    Credits that do not transfer to the University of Dubuque will remain recorded with the previous institution you attended.

  8. How many credit hours are required to graduate from University of Dubuque?
    ALL Bachelor Degrees require:

    - 120 credits (minimum) of college work (Inclusive of UD General Education Curriculum & degree requirements of at least one academic major)
    - Transfer students must earn a minimum of 12 credit hours in their major area of study (some majors may have additional requirements) and earn a minimum of 30 of their last 36 credit hours in residence at the University of Dubuque.
    - A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 for all work completed at UD.
    - A minimum grade point average of 2.0 for all courses taken in a major is required unless a particular major requires a higher grade point average (Education and Nursing majors). Consult department listings for specific details on GPA requirements of all majors.
    - A grade of C or better when the minimum acceptable grade is stated to be a C (a grade of C- will not suffice).
    - Transfer students with less than 24 credits will be required to complete World View One Seminar.

  9. If I have my Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree, do I need to take classes in the University of Dubuque General Education Curriculum?
    Students entering the University of Dubuque with an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from a regionally accredited institution, will be considered to have completed all components of the UD General Education Curriculum, with the exception of the History and Faith- Judeo Christian Tradition and Capstone course requirements.

    Students entering the University of Dubuque with an Associate of Applied Science degree will be required to complete all courses in the UD General Education, if they haven't fulfilled those course requirements based on the evaluation of transfer credit.

  10. Are scholarships available?
    Yes, academic scholarships are available to transfer students. Transfer students are eligible for these awards based on their most recent college GPA. A specific scholarship is available to transfer students who are Phi Theta Kappa members.

  11. What will it cost to attend the University of Dubuque?
    Tuition, student fees, room and board costs can be found on the Financial Planning page. To receive your financial planning award, you must be accepted for admission and submit your FAFSA to the University of Dubuque.

  12. Does the University of Dubuque accept military credit?
    The University of Dubuque accepts military transfer credit according to recommendations by the American Council on Education (ACE) for military training.

  13. Does University of Dubuque require me to live on campus?
    All undergraduate students having earned less than 90 credit hours are required to live in University housing units, space permitting, unless they meet one of the following criteria: married and living with spouse; have and are living with a child/children or legal dependent; and/or living with and commuting daily from the home of an immediate relative (parent, grandparent, sibling, or legal guardian) within 50 miles of Dubuque. Students who wish to be exempt from the Residency Policy must contact the Office of Residence Life and apply for an exemption.