Diversify your education, build cultural competencies, and connect with a global community
The University of Dubuque offers the unique opportunity to study abroad through over 110 programs in over 25 countries!
Education abroad is an excellent complement to your academic experience and can help set you up for success beyond your time at UD. Through study abroad you can expand your horizons and create lasting relationships with people across the world.
UD offers the following affordable short-term, summer, and semester-long study abroad programs.
Study Abroad with UD Faculty
University of Dubuque is proud to have a variety of faculty committed to international education. For those looking to travel directly with UD faculty members, each year there are a variety of short-term study trips provided through academic departments including:
- Department of Digital Art and Design - Ireland, Germany, Greece, Italy and beyond
- Department of Communication - Ireland
- Department of Aviation - Cuba
- Department of Natural and Applied Sciences - Sweden, Sri Lanka, Paraguay
Department of Athletics
University student athletes and support personnel can participate in their own education abroad opportunity and learn more about how their sport is played around the world. UD arranges many international travel trips including:
- Men's Soccer - Ireland
- Women's Soccer - Costa Rica
- Men's Football - Germany, Ireland, Austria and Italy
- Men's Wrestling - Canada
Study abroad with our Partnership Programs:
UD partners with provider organizations that make studying abroad a smooth, seamless process. Through these programs, you have access to more locations, diverse curricula, and neat excursion opportunities that will create lasting memories.
Fulfill your academic internship requirement abroad. Our affiliate programs offer organized internship opportunities in many locations and will work with you to find a placement that works well with your career goals.
The UD Study Abroad Office will assist you with:
- Finding a program that will best suit your academic program and goals
- Support with passport application
- Completing the application process
- Securing scholarship and funding sources for your program*
- Transferring credits back to UD
- International Health Insurance
- Securing visas where appropriate for your study abroad program
*Worried about the financials? UD offers the Butler Travel Scholarship! Students who apply and are awarded the scholarship receive $500-$3,500 for program support. Request an application in the Office of Financial Planning on the 3rd floor of the Charles and Romona Meyers Center.
- Fall Semester program - Mid-March/ Mid-April
- Spring Semester program - Mid-September/ Mid-October
- Summer program - Early April
- May-term program - Early April
Why Study Abroad?
- See the World: Most semester programs allow for long weekends because they know that much of your learning will take place outside the classroom as you travel to new places and explore your new home.
- Education: Choosing to study abroad allows you to experience different styles of education. Enrolling in a study abroad program lets you see your chosen major from different perspectives.
- Explore a New Culture: Many study-abroad students are fascinated by the cultural atmosphere of a new place. When you study abroad you will find incredible new foods, customs, traditions, and social atmospheres.
- Hone your Language Skills: Students have the opportunity to completely immerse themselves in a new language. Even if your courses are taught in English, you should try to learn the basics of the local language.
- Career Opportunities: Many students return with enhanced cultural competency, language skills, adaptability, and a spirit of enthusiasm and curiosity. All of these are very attractive to future employers.
- Find New Interests: Studying in a different country offers many new activities and interests. Irish dancing? Italian cuisine? Yes, please!
- Because You Can: This is the best time for students to take weeks or months away to spend time in another country? Don't skip this experience and regret it later.