Spring 2023 Commencement Events
Commencement is a time for the University of Dubuque family to come together to recognize and celebrate the academic accomplishments of our Spartans.
TUESDAY, APRIL 11, 2023
FRIDAY, APRIL 28, 2023
SATURDAY, APRIL 29, 2023
University of Dubuque Theological Seminary Commencement
9:30 a.m. - John and Alice Butler Hall, Heritage Center
Reception to follow in A.Y. McDonald Lobby, Heritage Center
Livestream: UDTS Facebook and UDTS YouTube
11:00 a.m. - Graduates Begin to Assemble in Veterans Memorial Training Center
- Only graduates are permitted in the area where graduates assemble.
- Graduates should arrive in full Commencement apparel with cap, gown, and tassel. Graduate students should also bring their academic hood.
- There is not a secure area to store personal items before, during, or after the check-in process. It is recommended to leave personal items behind.
11:30 a.m. - Doors Open to Chlapaty Recreation and Wellness Center
- Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis. It is not ticketed.
1:00 p.m. - Commencement Begins in Chlapaty Recreation and Wellness Center
- Guests are not allowed in the student seating area at any time.
- Only graduates are permitted to cross/be on stage to accept diploma covers.
SATURDAY, MAY 20, 2023
LIFE - Tempe Commencement
10:00 a.m. - Grace Community Church, 1200 East Southern Avenue, Tempe, Arizona
Livestream: Link will be provided
SATURDAY, AUGUST 12, 2023
LIFE - Meridian Commencement
10:00 a.m. - First Presbyterian Church (FPC), 950 West State Street, Boise, Idaho
Additional Commencement Information
Undergraduate Student Commencement Apparel and Pick Up
Please check UD email for information on how to order commencement apparel. All orders submitted by Friday, March 3, 2023, will be ready for pick up at Grad Fest on Tuesday, April 18, 2023, (see information below) or between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 19, 2023, through Friday, April 28, 2023, in the lower level of Babka Bookstore, Peters Commons. LIFE - Cedar Rapids graduates will pick up at the Cedar Rapids site, and LIFE - Tempe graduates will pick up at the Tempe site. A "direct ship to home" option is available for an extra fee. The cap, gown, and tassel are yours to keep. All tassels will be royal blue and white with a 2023 signet. The graduation apparel price is included in the graduation fee you pay when your graduation application is completed.
Graduate and Seminary Student Commencement Apparel and Pick Up
Please check UD email for information on how to order commencement apparel. All orders submitted by Friday, March 3, 2023, will be ready for pick up at Grad Fest on Tuesday, April 18, 2023, (see information below) or between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 19, 2023, through Friday, April 28, 2023, in the lower level of Babka Bookstore, Peters Commons. LIFE - Cedar Rapids graduates will pick up at the Cedar Rapids site, and LIFE - Tempe graduates will pick up at the Tempe site. A "direct ship to home" option is available for an extra fee. The cap, gown, tassel, and hood are yours to keep. The graduation apparel price is included in the graduation fee you pay when your graduation application is completed.
Spring 2023 graduates are invited to attend Grad Fest from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Tuesday, April 18, 2023, in the lobby of the Peter and Susan Smith Welcome Center as well as Steffens Hall, Charles and Romona Myers Center for free food, to win prizes and gifts, and to pick up regalia. The UD community may join the celebration for walking tacos from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. or snacks from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. All attendees must check in at the Office of Alumni Engagement Table to receive a meal pass.
LIFE - Cedar Rapids graduates are invited to Grad Fest from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Wednesday, April 12, 2023, in the lobby of the LIFE - Cedar Rapids site. Stop by for free snacks, prizes, and fun. Graduates can also pick up their regalia.
Grad Fest is hosted by the Office of Alumni Engagement.
Babka Bookstore Hours
Monday and Thursday: 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Commencement, Saturday, April 29, 2023: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
For graduation jewelry, please click here.
Graduates will receive a diploma cover at commencement from Rev. Jeffrey F. Bullock, PhD, president of the University of Dubuque.
Graduates who have met all degree requirements will receive their diploma by mail within six to eight weeks. Students who indicated diploma pick-up on their graduation application will be notified via email that their diploma is available for pick-up in the Office of the Registrar, Room 325, Charles and Romona Myers Center.
Students who have not met their academic requirements for graduation will receive an email from the Office of the Registrar. Students with an outstanding college account balance will have their diploma held in the Office of the Registrar until their account is cleared by the Office of Student Accounts.
Parking is available on campus in the following locations and on adjacent streets:
- Finley Lot at Finley and West streets
- University Park Drive Lot at Bennett Street and University Park Drive
- Pearl Street Lot adjacent to the corner of Pearl and McCormick streets
- Lot at the corner of McCormick Street and University Avenue
Graduates and guests are reminded not to park in roped off or posted No Parking Areas.
Trolley services will be provided between UD parking lots and the Chlapaty Recreation and Wellness Center.
To view a campus map, please click here.
Graduates and guests requiring accommodations such as special seating or an American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter should contact the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com. The deadline to request an ASL interpreter is Monday, April 3, 2023.
Handicap parking is limited, so please plan accordingly. Parking spots cannot be reserved.
Empire Photography will photograph each graduate as they receive their diploma cover and after they come off the stage at Commencement. In addition, Empire Photography will take photographs before and after the ceremony. To view photos, visit https://empirephotos.com/.
An additional professional photographer will take photos before, during, and after the ceremony. To view photos, visit https://udalumni.smugmug.com/.
Dubuque Accommodations and Attractions
For those traveling to Dubuque and staying overnight, we recommend you make reservations early. Please visit Travel Dubuque's website here to learn about local accommodations and attractions.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions:
- Honors Convocation: Ann Kendell, Executive Assistant to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, at AKendell@dbq.edu or 563.589.3206
- ROTC Commissioning Ceremony: Andrew Mans, Assistant Professor of Military Science, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 563.589.3804
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing Pinning Ceremony: Neil MacNaughton, Head of the Department of Nursing, at NMacNaughton@dbq.edu or 563.589.3701
- Grad Fest: Katie Kraus, Director for Alumni Engagement, at KKraus@dbq.edu or 563.589.3161
- University of Dubuque Theological Seminary Commencement: Jill Dodds, Administrative Assistant to the Dean of the Seminary, at JDodds@dbq.edu or 563.589.3122
- University of Dubuque Spring Commencement: Office of the Registrar at Registrar@dbq.edu or 563.589.3748
- Commencement Apparel: Jennifer Wickman, Merchandise Manager, at JWickman@dbq.edu or 563.589.3131