We have the answers to the most common questions concerning living on campus at University of Dubuque. If you have a question that is not addressed on this page, please contact the Residence Life Office by emailing ResidenceLife@dbq.edu or calling 563.589.3128.

  1. Can I move in early?
    All early arrival requests must be submitted to the Office of Residence Life for review and approval. An early move in request is a request by any student to move in prior to their designated move in day as designated in their assignment email/letter. There is no guarantee you will be able to move into your assigned space early, regardless of the requested reason. Please note, we must balance preparing spaces for new residents, cleaning schedule, and staff availability.
       - To request to move in prior to the designated move in day, the student must email their request to ResidenceLife@dbq.edu.
       - Requests for the fall semester will not be accepted after August 18. Early move-in requests are not accepted after December 1 for the spring semester.
       - If a student is permitted to move in early, the student will be assessed a daily fee until their designated move-in day. This fee will be placed on the student's account.

  2. What is the University of Dubuque residency policy?
    The University of Dubuque residency policy stipulates that all students having earned less than 90 credits prior to the beginning of the academic year are required to reside in campus housing units. Exemptions to this policy are noted below and require verification and approval through the Exemption from Residency Requirement process. 
       - Married and living with their spouse
       - Have and/or living with a child/children or legal dependent(s)
       - Living with a parent, grandparent, sibling, and/or legal guardian and communting daily from the home of that immediate relative within 50 miles of Dubuque.

    If you would like to seek an exemption from the Residency Policy for one of these reasons, you must complete an Exemption from Residency Requirement form which you may obtain from the Office of Residence Life. Your request will be reviewed and you will receive an email response. Exemptions will be granted on a one year basis only - you must apply each year. (Example: If you are approved for Fall 2023, but do not have 90 credit hours by Fall 2024, you will be expected to reside on campus in the 2024-2025 academic year.) Students found to be living off-campus without authorization through this exemption process will be charged housing fees for residence hall space.

    Please note: Students should not sign an off-campus lease before securing an exemption from the Residency Policy; the student will not be released from the on-campus housing requirement for this reason alone.

  3. Do I need to have renter's insurance to cover my personal belongings in my room?
    The University of Dubuque will not be liable for lost, stolen, or damaged personal items. While it is not required, students are encouraged to carry renter's insurance to cover any loss of personal items. Students are encouraged to check with their parents or legal guardians; homeowner's policies may cover personal items used away from the home.

  4. Who is responsible for cleaning student rooms?
    Each resident is responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of their room, apartment, townhouse, or campus house. Residence Life staff assists residents with this process by helping them have conversations with their roommates about sharing the cleaning responsibility. Residence Life Staff conducts health and safety checks a few times each semester to ensure the students are maintaining a healthy and safe living environment.

  5. Whom should students contact for room repairs?
    Students need to initiate the repair by emailing a Maintenance Request to Facilities@dbq.edu. Students must include their housing information (building name and room number) and a description of the repair requested.

  6. Does the campus close over breaks?
    Campus does NOT close for Thanksgiving Break and Spring Break. Students may stay on campus over those two breaks. All University campus housing is closed over Winter Break. Students are expected to leave campus within 24 hours of their last final. Campus housing will open beginning at 9:00 a.m. of the day prior to the spring semester.

  7. Are the residence halls air conditioned?
    The traditional residence halls (Aitchison, Cassat, and Donnell) do not have central air conditioning. Students may cool their rooms through the use of window fans. Students requiring air conditioning for medical reasons should contact the Smeltzer-Kelly Student Health Center and request an Air Conditioner Application Form (if approved, students are responsible for providing their own air conditioning unit). Air conditioning is available in all other campus housing.

  8. Where can I store my bicycle?
    Bicycles should not be stored inside the residence halls or apartments. Bicycles should be locked to bike racks located near the buildings.

  9. What is the overnight guest policy?
    Due to the continued concern for the health and safety of the UD residential community, overnight guests are NOT permitted within the residence halls of the University of Dubuque. Please review more information concerning the Guest Policy and Visitation Hours in the Student Handbook.

  10. How does the room change process work?
    Residence Life seeks to foster an environment that promotes opportunities for students to become civically, socially, and academically responsible persons who are engaged members of their current and future communities. Our goal is for students to learn and grow from their experience living on campus. Room changes are a last resort in dealing with roommate conflict. Except in emergency situations, room changes may not take place until the third week of the semester. This gives Residence Life time to assign students that need assignments, process cancellations, and identify open spaces.

    If a student is seeking a room change, they should consult with their Resident Assistant (RA). The RA will help try to improve the living environment by mediating the conflict and facilitating a written Roommate Agreement. Students should not wait until the situation escalates; they should be proactive in appropriately addressing roommate concerns when they arise. If consulting with the RA does not resolve the conflict then the student may meet with their Residence Hall Director to look into available spaces for a room change. Residence Life is not able to grant all room change requests due to space availability. Residents are able to participate in an approved room swap if no open spaces are available.