Student Learning Outcomes
The mission of the English program is to provide students at the University of Dubuque with writing and reading competencies, critical and analytical thinking skills, and literature-based insights and examination of values. Upon completion of the English major, students will be able to:
- Write prose that is structurally and logically coherent.
- Understand the conventions of Standard Written English and use it effectively.
- Communicate in a rhetorically effective manner.
- Read varied texts with a high level of comprehension.
- Develop and demonstrate skills in critical and analytical thinking.
- Develop and demonstrate an understanding of literature's aesthetic value.
- Use literature to gain insight into the human condition.
- Apply excellent moral character and professional ethics to Language and Literature.