Some Fitness Facilities to Reopen for Use by UD Faculty, Staff, and Students
May 27, 2020
Chlapaty Recreation and Wellness Center’s courts, A.Y. McDonald Indoor Track, Douglas J. Miller Track, and Chalmers Field reopened June 17, 2020, for use by faculty, staff, and students. Only non-contact activities are allowed such as racquet sports and individual basketball shooting. Participants must first check in at the front desk.
DUBUQUE, Iowa – On Monday, June 1, fitness facilities at the Chlapaty Recreation and Wellness Center (CRWC) and Veterans Memorial Training Center (VMTC) on University of Dubuque’s campus will reopen for use by UD faculty, staff, and students with strict precautions based on state and federal guidelines.
CRWC’s Cottingham and Butler Fitness Center will be open 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. The track and courts remain closed until further notice. CRWC staff will limit the number of participants to 50 percent capacity.
At the VMTC, only one patron per rack and lift will be allowed at a time by appointment through UD strength and conditioning coaches.
UD remains committed to providing a safe environment and mitigating the spread of COVID-19. Please observe the following precautions when visiting the CRWC and VMTC:
- Patrons must wear a face covering when checking into the fitness facility. Face coverings will be worn by all staff.
- Patrons and staff must sanitize their hands before and after entering the fitness facility.
- Patrons must complete the COVID-19 Health Assessment on site the first time they use the fitness facility and whenever they leave Dubuque County.
- Patrons will have their temperature checked with non-contact thermometers.
- Social distancing of six feet should be practiced throughout the fitness facility.
- All equipment must be sanitized by the patron when they are finished using the equipment.
- All equipment used must be used by only one patron at a time.
- Patrons must have their own water bottle.
- Only the small men’s and women’s locker rooms on the main level of CRWC will be available for use. Two people will be allowed in the locker rooms at a time to shower and change. Lockers are not to be used to store belongings at this time.
- In-Person Group Fitness Classes are postponed. Group Fitness Classes will be offered via Zoom this summer for you to workout wherever you are. Click here to find the classes.
UD is committed to providing a safe environment. Cleaning will be conducted at regular intervals during the day in line with guidance from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
If you have any questions about the fitness facilities, please contact Wendi Wipperfurth, assistant athletic director, at 563.589.3229 or WWipperfurth@dbq.edu.
If you have any questions about the CRWC, please contact Vic Popp, director of recreation, at 563.589.3449 or VPopp@dbq.edu.