Men's Tennis Falls To Loras 4-5
Apr 20, 2017
DUBUQUE, Iowa - On a windy night, the University of Dubuque men's tennis team dropped a tightly contested match to crosstown rival, Loras College, 4-5. The Duhawks got revenge on the Spartans after UD won 5-4 last season over at Loras.
While Loras took the doubles matches 1-2, one of the most entertaining matches of the night came at the number one spot in doubles. Mathew Sablay and Ranfer Hernandez trailed by a set or two throughout the most of the match and kept battling back to force the match into a tiebreaker. However, Sablay and Hernandez ran out of steam in the tiebreaker, dropping the tiebreaker 5-7 and the match 9-8.
Sablay was also involved in one of the more exciting singles matches where he faced up against Loras' Kevin Murphy. After the first set was tied at six heading into the tiebreaker, Sablay grabbed the tiebreaker 7-5 and carried that momentum over to the second set where he won 6-0. Zebulon Hill and Jordan Hamling rallied to win the final to matches of singles play but it was not quite enough as Loras had clinched the match earlier.
1. Jason Derby (LORM) def. Justin Castro (DBQM) 6-2, 6-1
2. Matthew Sablay (DBQM) def. Kevin Murphy (LORM) 7-6 (7-5), 6-0
3. Riley Michel (LORM) def. Ranfer Hernandez (DBQM) 7-5, 6-0
4. Sean Baldwin (LORM) def. Jared Jhun (DBQM) 6-3, 6-3
5. Jordan Hamling (DBQM) def. Eric Zirzow (LORM) 7-5, 7-5
6. Zebulon Hill (DBQM) def. Quin Cockerill (LORM) 6-0, 6-2
1. Jason Derby/Kevin Murphy (LORM) def. Matthew Sablay/Ranfer Hernandez (DBQM) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Justin Castro/Jared Jhun (DBQM) def. Sean Baldwin/Riley Michel (LORM) 8-4
3. Eric Zirzow/Joe Janouch (LORM) def. Zebulon Hill/Jordan Hamling (DBQM) 8-6