University Counseling Center Core Competency (UC4) Training
August 10, 2016 | 7:30 AM — 5:00 PM
- Blades Chapel - University of Dubuque
- For questions regarding this training, please contact Janis Flemming (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Culture and Experience of Service Members and Veterans on Campus
- The Deployment Cycle and its Impact on Students
- Reintegration on Campus
- Culturally-Informed Assessment and Interventions with Student Veterans
- Identify military connected students as an area of multi-cultural diversity.
- Discuss deployment cycle stressors as they manifest in student Veterans and Service members.
- Identify campus challenges faced by student Veterans and Service members.
- Review current campus outreach strategies specific to military connected students.
- Develop recommendations designed to enhance student outreach opportunities specific to student Veterans and Service members.
- Identify common clinical presentations of student Veterans and Service members in college and university counseling centers.
- Describe the basic etiology and risk/prevalence of PTSD.
- Discuss common reactions to trauma as an initial psychoeducational intervention for post trauma difficulties.
This course is designed for clinical mental health providers including counseling center staff psychologists and social workers, pre-doctoral interns, graduate-level externs, graduate-level clinical students, campus psychiatrists, disability services staff, local community providers, and regional community college providers. All practicing clinicians, trainees, and clinical students in a campus community are encouraged to attend the full day.
Non‐clinical university personnel are also encouraged to attend. Non-clinical campus personnel can include individuals working in Student Affairs, Residence Life, Dean’s Office, academic advising, registrar’s office, Financial Aid, Campus Safety, or any other university department.
Continuing Education Credit Information:
Clinicians may earn 7 Continuing Education credits. PESI, Inc. is an approved provider of Continuing Education. Fee for Continuing Education: $19.99 per attendee. Please write checks out to the University of Dubuque that will be collected the morning of the event.
Participants from the training are welcome to utilize University of Dubuque's campus lunch service for only $5 that day. Vouchers will be provided to participants who choose to stay on-campus for their lunch. The cafeteria is across the street from the reserved venue.