Student Grievance Policy
This Student Grievance Form provides guidance for students in following the grievance process for academic and non-academic grievances, and complaints of unlawful discrimination or unfair treatment. A "student" is an individual who is matriculated or otherwise enrolled to attend class full or part-time at the University of Dubuque (UD). Students wishing to file a grievance should do so within 15 business days of the event through submitting their concerns in writing to their academic advisor.
QUICK LINK: Student Grievance Policy
Students wishing to report any of the following Issues and Disputes Not Covered on the Student Grievance Form will refer to the University Student Handbook.
Issues and Disputes Not Covered:
- Requests to review and challenge contents of student records (see University Student Handbook section Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act and Access to Student Records).
- Grievances or concerns involving harassment or discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or Vietnam-era veteran status (see University Student Handbook section Values and Values Violations).
- Grievances relating to sexual harassment (see University Student Handbook section Values and Values Violations).
- Appeals of disciplinary actions. Appeals of this nature will be submitted to the Director of LIFE in consultation with the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Appeals or petition regarding instructional or academic issues. Appeals for these issues will be submitted to the Director of LIFE in consultation with the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Complaints that, on their face, are not subject to possible resolution in a student grievance context. (An example would be a student complaint where the student's requested relief is prohibited by state or federal law.)
Use this form to document your grievance. This form serves as the written grievance for informal and formal resolution, though it is possible to resolve your grievance without going through both levels. For information about this process, please refer to this Student Grievance policy in the LIFE Student Handbook. The form may be found below.
A Grievance reported on this form may include, but is not limited to, complaints alleging:
(a) mistreatment by an University employee
(b) errors in the assessment of fees or other financial obligations
(c) registration errors
(d) loss of financial aid eligibility
- Before initiating the formal grievance process, the student is encouraged to make every effort to resolve the problem informally with the person(s) alleged to have caused the grievance.
- Alternatively or additionally, the student may present the informal grievance in writing to the person(s) alleged to have caused the grievance. This attempt to resolve the grievance informally should be started as soon as the student first becomes aware of the act or condition that is the basis of the grievance.
- The student may present the informal grievance to the direct supervisor of the person alleged to have caused the grievance. Students uncertain about how to identify this person or determine how to proceed may consult the [position], who shall identify the appropriate person
Formal Complaint Resolution
- When appropriate, students are encouraged to work with their academic advisor and other parties involved to arrive at a solution before filing a formal complaint. If the student desires to request a formal complaint, the complaint is documented by their academic advisor and submitted to the Director of LIFE, or their designee, for evaluation.
- The Director of LIFE, or their designee, will review and act on the issue within fifteen business days of receipt.
- The student may elect to appeal the Director’s decision to the Vice President of Academic Affairs who will review and act on the issue within thirty calendar days of receipt.
- The student may elect to appeal the Vice President of Academic Affairs’ decision to the President of the university, who will review and act on the issue within thirty calendar days of receipt.