The mission of the University of Dubuque Student Health Services is to promote the health and wellness of the University Community, to enhance student retention, and to support academic and personal success.
Forms Required for All Students Reregistering:
(If under 18 years of age, please have your parent or legal guardian sign and date all forms).
Debra R. Runkle, MA, LAT, ATC
University Medical Coordinator
Head Athletic Trainer / Associate Athletic Director
305 Stoltz Sports Center
The University of Dubuque Health Service is available (free) for all students who are currently enrolled in classes. Undergraduate, graduate, and seminary students are able to seek medical attention with UD Health Service no matter what insurance plan they are enrolled in. The services provided by UD Health Service, Unity Point Finley Occupational Health, to you are explained below. The services also include being seen at Unity Point Finley Convenient Care, after hours and on weekends.
The Medical Coordinator is able to schedule appointments not only with Unity Point Finley Occupational Health, but also with other medical facilities. The Director is able to assist you with other medical appointments, such as dental, women's health concerns, specialty clinics, etc (within the constraints of your personal medical insurance plan).
The Medical Coordinator is also able to help you and your parent(s) with insurance questions, such as how to locate a specialist within their insurance plan, and what an EOB is.
MAKING A MEDICAL APPOINTMENT:
- To schedule medical appointments for illnesses or injuries, call the University of Dubuque (UD) Office of Medical Services, Debra Runkle, 563.589.3244.
- A Student & Student-Athlete Medical Referral Form from the Medical Coordinator, located in the Stoltz Sports Center, will be completed for you to take with you to your appointment, and to return after your appointment.
- The Medical Referral Form will indicate when you may return to class or if you are being referred to another physician for follow-up. You must return the referral form to the Medical Coordinator directly after the appointment (if after hours, the next the day).
- If you are unable to reach the Medical Coordinator after hours, report to Finley Convenient Care. If your situation is an emergency, contact UD Security (ext. 3333) or call 911. Finley Convenient Care will determine if you should be seen at the ER (charges for ER services will be billed to you or your insurance).
UNIVERSITY OF DUBUQUE MEDICAL COORDINATOR'S OFFICE
Medical Coordinator: Debra Runkle
Assistant to the Medical Coordinator: Erin Barsema
304 Stoltz Sports Center
New Student Medical Information
- Welcome Letter
- Concussion Fact Sheet
- Framework for Document Disability-Iowa
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella Information
- Meningitis On Campus
- Sickle Cell Information
Important Phone Numbers
MEDICAL COORDINATOR: Office 563.589.3244 Cell: 563.580.6889
CAREER & LIFE SERVICES (Counseling Center): 563.589.3132
SAFETY & SECURITY: 563.589.3333
Hospital / Care Facility Information
UnityPoint Health - Finley Hospital
Emergency Department - entrance on Grandview Avenue
350 North Grandview Ave.
Dubuque, Iowa 52001
Call 911 or go to an emergency department immediately for serious or life-threatening medical problems. Emergency conditions include: chest pain; severe abdominal pain; coughing or vomiting blood; deep cuts or bleeding that won’t stop; sudden blurred vision; numbness in face or limbs; severe burns; difficulty breathing or shortness of breath; sudden dizziness, weakness, loss of coordination or balance; sudden, severe headache; seizures. UnityPoint Health - Finley Hospital is open 24 hours, every day and night of the year.
UnityPoint Clinic Urgent Care
East Location - 1550 University Avenue
West Location - 2255 JFK Road
Dubuque, Iowa 52001
UnityPoint Clinic Urgent Care offers care for non-life-threatening medical problems or conditions that could get work if you wait. You should go to an urgent care clinic for common illnesses and injuries including: cough, cold, flu and sore throat; ear ache, ear pain, and ear infections; eye problems; upper respiratory infection; skin infections, rash, skin lump, bump or growth; minor cuts; minor sports injuries or sprain; muscle aches and sprain; sunburn or other minor burns; nausea, dizziness, vomiting; fever without convulsion; neck or back pain. Urgent Care is open daily from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. Urgent Care – West is open 365 days, every year, including holidays.
UnityPoint Health Finley Occupational Health
1665 Embassy West Drive
(Follow Pennsylvania, cross over NW Arterial, take first left. Across from ReMax/Gas Station/DQ.)
Dubuque, Iowa 52002
Monday - Friday 7:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Student Health Services is provided by:
UnityPoint Finley Occupational Health, a service of Unity Point The Finley Hospital, Iowa Health System, provides University of Dubuque students with access to the services that Finley Hospital has to offer.