Veterans Memorial Training Center
Veterans Memorial Training Center is a multi-purpose facility which benefits a wide array of athletics programs at the University of Dubuque. Completed in January of 2014, the facility is nearly 40,000 square feet with a 180 ft. by 210 ft. Mondo Synthetic Turf playing surface that simulates the feel and performance of real grass. In addition, there is 2,200 square feet of office and storage space.
Veterans Memorial is located south of the Chlapaty Recreation and Wellness Center and adjacent to the baseball field within the Hans A. Chlapaty Outdoor Sports Complex. The facility also plays host to in-season and off-season workouts for numerous Spartans sports programs and for intramural-recreational sports during times of inclement weather.
In November of 2018 Veterans Memorial Training Center was expanded to include a new weight room with custom UD Athletics equipment by elitefts. The open and inviting 5,200 square foot addition includes 12 racks, six glute/ham machines, and multiple free weights.
The Spartans All-Americans wall of fame inside the Veterans Memorial Training Center for football and women's and men's soccer.
The Veterans Memorial Training Center was named in honor of the V-5/V-12 Navy Training Unit held on the campus of the University of Dubuque from July 1, 1943 to November 1, 1945. The anchor was dedicated on June 8, 1996 to honor all who served our nation while in military service. especially U.S. Navy Trainees at UD who died in uniform. Evan C. Harris (Chadwick, Ill.), Judd C Hogsdon (Dakota, Ill.), Richard G. Prather (Osceola, Iowa), John E. Purple (Peoria, Ill.), Don L. Southworth (Fort Morgan, Colo.), Robert E. Tigner (Lohrville, Iowa), and fellow trainee Ambassador L. Bruce Laingen who was held hostage in the U.S. Embassy in Iran for 444 days.