Frequently Asked Questions for Transfer Students

  1. What GPA do I need to be accepted for admission to the University of Dubuque?
    You will need a GPA of 2.0 or higher in your most recent college course work.    
  2. Will my old GPA transfer?
    No. Credits will transfer to the University of Dubuque, but grade point averages from other institutions will not transfer.

  3. What application and supporting documents are needed?
    Application for admission (paper, on-line version, or The Common Application), final official high school transcript with ACT/SAT scores, final official college transcripts from all institutions attended, personal essay, two professor evaluations, and $25 application fee. Good News! We are currently waiving the Application Fee.

  4. How will I know how many credits transfer?
    The Registrar’s Office will complete an evaluation of your transfer credits upon your acceptance for admission. Official college transcripts are required for this process.

  5. What is the application deadline?
    Because the University of Dubuque uses a rolling admission process, you receive an admission decision soon after your application for admission is complete.

  6. What grades and GPA do I need for credits to transfer in?
    The University of Dubuque will accept all courses passed at an accredited bachelor’s degree-granting institution, provided the overall grade average for those courses is 2.0 or better. If the student’s cumulative grade point average (GPA) at the institution from which the credits are transferred is less than 2.0, the University will accept only credit for courses in which grades earned were C or better.

    Transfer students should note that courses deemed equivalent to the skills courses of the UD Core Curriculum will not transfer to the University of Dubuque with a grade of less than C, independent of the cumulative grade point average for all transferring credits:

    CIS 101- Introduction to Computers or CIS 103- Computer Applications in Business
    COM 101- Speech Communication
    ENG 101 Composition and Rhetoric
    UDMA 111-Collegiate Math or UDMA 112- Algebra or UDMA 250- Calculus or PHL 114- Logical Reasoning
    RES 104- Research Writing

  7. What happens to credits that DON’T transfer? 
    Credits that do not transfer to the University of Dubuque will remain recorded with the previous institution you attended.  

  8. How many credit hours are required to graduate from University of Dubuque?  

    ALL Bachelor Degrees require:

    - 120 credits (minimum) of college work (Inclusive of UD Core Curriculum & degree requirements of at least one academic major)
    - Transfer students must earn a minimum of 12 credit hours in their major area of study (some majors may have additional requirements) and earn a minimum of 30 of their last 36 credit hours in residence at the University of Dubuque.
    - A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 for all work completed at UD.
    - A minimum grade point average of 2.0 for all courses taken in a major is required unless a particular major requires a higher grade point average (Education, FPA, and Nursing majors). Consult department listings for specific details on GPA requirements of all majors.
    - A grade of C or better when the minimum acceptable grade is stated to be a C (a grade of C- will not suffice).
    - Transfer students with 24 or more credits will be required to complete one J-term course.

  9. If I have my Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree, do I need to take classes in the University of Dubuque Core Curriculum?
    Students entering the University of Dubuque with an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from an accredited two-year or four year institution, will be considered to have completed most of the UD Core Curriculum, with the exception of the Judeo Christian Tradition, World View III and World View IV components of the core and the J-term requirement. For most programs of study, World View III and World View IV will be covered by courses completed as a part of the major requirement.

    Students entering the University of Dubuque with an Associate of Applied Science degree will be required to complete all courses in the UD Core Curriculum, if they haven’t fulfilled those course requirements based on the evaluation of transfer credit.

  10. Are scholarships available?
    Yes, academic scholarships are available to transfer students. Transfer students are eligible for these awards based on their most recent college GPA. A specific scholarship is available to transfer students who are Phi Theta Kappa members.

  11. What will it cost to attend the University of Dubuque? 
    Tuition, student fees, room and board costs can be found on the Financial Planning page. To receive your financial planning award, you must be accepted for admission and submit your FAFSA to the University of Dubuque.

  12. Does the University of Dubuque accept military credit?
    The University of Dubuque accepts military transfer credit according to recommendations by the American Council on Education (ACE) for military training.

  13. Does University of Dubuque require me to live on campus?
    All undergraduate students having earned less than 90 credit hours are required to live in University housing units, space permitting, unless they meet one of the following criteria: married and living with spouse; have and are living with a child/children or legal dependent; and/or living with and commuting daily from the home of an immediate relative (parent, grandparent, sibling, or legal guardian) within 50 miles of Dubuque. Students who wish to be exempt from the Residency Policy must contact the Office of Residence Life and apply for an exemption.