Master in Management
The Master in Management (MM) Program Mission
The Master in Management (MM) program’s mission is to help graduates develop an understanding and application of management practices and leadership skills in an organization. In addition to gaining practical competence in a specific field of study through a real world work experience, graduates will be prepared to think strategically, integrate and construct new knowledge, develop intrapersonal and interpersonal competencies, and apply excellent moral character to the practices of an organization. Specific concentrations are offered under the MBA degree.
Graduates are equipped to:
- Lead and manage with in-depth knowledge in key areas of finance, human resources, operations and strategy.
- Exercise character and ethics in decision making.
- Communicate effectively across the global business landscape.
- Think and act both tactically and strategically in complex business situations.
Using an applied approach to learning graduates are well-equipped to leave UD ready to take on management and leadership roles. Each graduate student will participate in a work experience (internship, Graduate Assistantship, or related job) that is founded in CAS standards (Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education), specifically: 1) knowledge acquisition, integration, construction, and application, 2) cognitive complexity, 3) intrapersonal development, 4) interpersonal competence, 5) humanitarianism and civic engagement, and 6) practical competence.
Throughout their studies experience, each graduate is challenged to develop the moral character needed to manage and lead with integrity, justice, and compassion.
Programs of Study
The MM program will have several tracks for which graduate students may select that best matches their personal interest. Starting Fall 2018 there will be concentrations in Sport Management and Communication Management. Coming Fall 2019 Aviation Management and Organizational Diversity & Inclusion Leadership will join the line-up.
- Communication Management
- Sport Management
- Aviation Leadership
- Organizational Diversity & Inclusion Leadership
Each track shares a common core of business courses taught by faculty who possess real-world business experience as well as advanced degrees in their fields. Then each specific track offers courses essential to successful management and leadership roles in their industry. Each program of study offers the business knowledge, coupled with communication, leadership, problem solving, and decision-making skills specific to a discipline, that will help graduates become a productive team member in:
- any company, large or small;
- any career, be it local or international focused;
- any business segment, whether it be in sport management, communication management, aviation management, manufacturing or service, government or private enterprise, profit or nonprofit organizations, or entrepreneurial ventures.
- The program is built based on intensive industry research.
- Focuses on in-depth day-to-day managerial operation within a discipline specific context
- Provides hands-on experience enriched by most recent theories in the field.
- Applied internship requirement.
- Students can complete their degree within one year.
- The program allows credit for life learning experience.
The successful University of Dubuque applicant has these credentials:
- Bachelor's degree. A bachelor's degree in most any discipline is required to enter the Master in Management program. Students from outside the U.S. may substitute a bachelor's equivalent (these vary from country to country).
- Language proficiency. Students who have not studied or worked in institutions where English is spoken should take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test is needed to handle the language level used in the program.
For additional information, contact the following:
University of Dubuque
Office of Graduate and Adult Studies
2000 University Avenue
Dubuque, IA 52001