DECEMBER 2016 COMMENCEMENT
Welcome to Commencement Events for the Undergraduate and Graduate Class of 2016!
This site will be kept up-to-date with information. The University looks forward with immense pleasure to hosting graduates’ families and friends for commencement activities. Congratulations, graduates!
Thursday, December 15, 2016
Commencement doors open at John and Alice Butler Hall in the Heritage Center, McCormick & Bennett Streets.
Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis – non-ticketed. No food or beverages are allowed in Butler Hall. Graduates, please see below for meeting location and information about the procession.
Procession is led by the bagpiper into John and Alice Butler Hall
Commencement will take place at 3:00 p.m. on December 15 unless weather forces the University to close. There will be no make-up date for this event. Please consult this website for any weather-related announcements.
Commencement Ceremony begins in John and Alice Butler Hall in the Heritage Center. The event will also be streamed live. Please CLICK HERE to watch the ceremony live. On-demand viewing will be available after the event.
Reception honoring all college graduates and their guests will be held immediately following the ceremony in the Heritage Center.
December Commencement Dinner
Dubuque Golf & Country Club
5:30 p.m. | Social
6:00 p.m. | Dinner
Graduates and their families are cordially invited to attend the University of Dubuque’s December Commencement Dinner, honoring all December Graduates.
A formal invitation and RSVP information has been mailed to graduates and their families. For more information and to RSVP online, please visit www.dbq.edu/CommencementDinner
Graduate dinners are complimentary, however advanced reservation is required. Faculty and Staff are also invited to attend and celebrate the class of 2016.
Additional Commencement Information
UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT COMMENCEMENT APPAREL AND PICK UP
Beginning Monday, November 21st, students may stop into the lower level of the Babka Bookstore to pick up their cap, gown and tassel for Commencement Ceremonies. Pre-Orders are not required. We will have every height and size available when you stop in to pick them up. These may be kept. The cost of these is figured into your graduation fee.
GRADUATE STUDENT COMMENCEMENT APPAREL AND PICK UP
Beginning Monday, December 5th, students may stop into the lower level of the Babka Bookstore to pick up their cap, gown and tassel rental for Commencement Ceremonies. Your hood will be bestowed upon you as part of the Commencement Ceremony. Please return hood with other rented items after the ceremony. These must be ordered prior to October 18th. Please refer to the e-mail that you received from Margo Ketels.
BABKA BOOK STORE HOURS
Monday and Thursday: 9:00 a.m. – 5:45 p.m.
Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:45 p.m.
GRADUATE CHECK-IN DAY OF CEREMONY
- Please enter the Heritage Center through the Grace Street entrance (by Mike & Betty’s and Sparty’s Convenience Store) no later than 2:00 p.m.
- Use steps on the right to the 3rd floor to Check-in with the Registrar’s Office Staff in room 304A where you will receive further instructions.
- Please assemble on the 3rd floor balcony of the Heritage center near the Susan Magill Smith Office Suite (same area you check-in).
- There will be no area for item storage so please only bring what you plan wear/carry with you in the procession.
- As always, no food or drink are allowed in Butler Hall.
- Graduate students must return their gowns/hoods following the ceremony. Please look for gown return in the A.Y. MacDonald Lobby immediately following Commencement.
- Each graduate will receive a diploma cover from the President at Commencement. Graduates who have met all degree requirements will receive their diploma by mail.
- Any student who has not met their academic requirements for graduation will have their diploma held in the Registrar’s Office until such time as all degree requirements are met.
- If a student has an outstanding college account balance, their diploma will be held in the Registrar’s Office until their account is cleared by the Student Accounts Office.
General parking is available on the University of Dubuque campus in the following locations and on adjacent streets.
- Finley lot at Finley & West Streets
- University Park Drive lot at Bennett Street and University Park Drive
- Pearl Street lot adjacent to the corner of Pearl and McCormick Streets
- Lot across from Hardees at the corner of McCormick Street and University Avenue
Students and guests are reminded not to park in roped off or posted no parking areas. For people having to park distances away, shuttle services will be provided between University of Dubuque parking lots and the Heritage Center.
SPECIAL NEEDS PARKING/SEATING
While the amount of Handicapped Parking spots will be increased for this event, parking is on a first-come first-served basis. A reserved seating section will also be available to accommodate Commencement guests who have special needs. Reservations are required for the Special Needs Seating section. Click this link to complete the Special Needs Seating Reservation: Special Needs Seating. A sign language interpreter has also been contracted to provide “signing” services at the ceremony.
LifeTouch Photography will take a picture of each student receiving his/her diploma cover and a second pose with the diploma and flag background after exiting the stage as well as pictures before and after the ceremony. To view Commencement images, go to www.events.lifetouch.com.
For those traveling to Dubuque and planning to stay overnight, we recommend that you call early to reserve a hotel room. For information on local hotels and attractions, please feel free to visit the Dubuque Chamber of Commerce website at http://www.dubuquechamber.com
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us!
Commencement Ceremony: Michelle Grace | 563.589.3204
Commencement Dinner: Katie Kraus | 563.589.3161