Computer Studies and Mathematics
The Computer Studies and Mathematics Department (CSM) at the University of Dubuque (UD) offers students an excellent education and opportunities to participate in major-related extracurricular activities.
CSM offers four majors that prepare students to work in industry or pursue advanced degrees:
CSM classes are taught by outstanding faculty who:
- Possess a variety of skills and areas of expertise.
- Hold advanced degrees or have many years of industry experience in their fields.
- Truly care about the students and their success.
The Student Learning Outcomes for Computer Studies majors are:
- To give students a sound foundation, and desire for continual learning, in core and/or advanced areas of Computer Studies.
- To develop each student's critical thinking and communication skills to prepare them to work in today’s information technology environment.
- To develop each student's personal character in order to instill ethical decision making.
The Student Learning Outcomes for Mathematics majors are:
- To enhance each student’s computational and proof skills, while encouraging their enjoyment and appreciation of mathematics.
- To improve each student’s ability to communicate, apply, and represent mathematics well.
- To promote each student’s ethical application of mathematics in representations and decisions.
CSM students have opportunities to engage in major-related activities such as participating in mathematics and computer-related competitions, being involved in STEM festivals in area schools, joining the computer club, and attending conferences. In addition to learning and befriending students with similar interests, these activities allow students to gain leadership experience, and they help enhance the students’ resumes. Enterprising students even present at the conferences.
Give any of the faculty a call, or come to UD for a visit. We would be happy to tell you more about our programs or to show them to you!