Alternative Testing Policy for University of Dubuque Students
A student is welcome to test in the Academic Success Center (ASC) when she/he meets one or more of the following criteria:
- A student has a documented disability and is eligible for a specific accommodation(s) for testing, based on an approved VISA (Verification of Individual Student Accommodations) letter. This VISA letter must be presented to an instructor at the beginning of every semester.
- A student has an excused absence (e.g., health-related.) Documentation must be provided by Erin Barsema, Health Services Administrator.
- A student is taking a fee-based exam such as CLEP (College-Level Examination Program) or DSST to attempt to earn college credit.
Students and instructors must discuss how testing accommodations will be provided. Examples of testing arrangements may include the following:
- The student may choose to take every exam in the ASC.
- The student and instructor agree that the student will take only selected exams in the ASC.
- The instructor is able to provide the required accommodations in their classroom/office for every exam; the student chooses to take all exams in the class/with the professor.
For any exam to be taken in the ASC:
- Schedule a time to take the exam in the ASC at least two business days in advance by contacting Kay Smith via the information below. Students requesting a reader or scribe must submit their request one week in advance. If this procedure is not followed, testing in the ASC is not guaranteed.
- Confirm with the instructor, two days in advance of the exam, their scheduled test time in the ASC.
- Complete the information on the front page of the Exam Proctor Form (please copy both sides of the form).
- Will receive a meeting request via Outlook for the time the student schedules the exam in the ASC. Please "Accept" the meeting request to confirm that the date and time scheduled meet with your approval.
- May send electronic versions of the Exam Proctor Form and exam to KASmith@dbq.edu, but should allow a minimum of two hours prior to the scheduled exam time. If preferred, instructors may drop off a hard copy of the Exam Proctor Form and exam during the testing hours listed below.
- Provide necessary Par-Score or Scantron answer sheets.
- Will receive via campus mail any exams remaining in the ASC one week after the end of the semester.
To Schedule Exams:
ASC Administrative Assistant
Myers Library, 2nd Floor, ASC
Testing Hours: Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. and Friday 8:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Testing will end promptly at the end times noted above. Any unfinished tests will be collected and will be considered complete. Please plan accordingly.
There is a $15.00 administrative fee for community members for the following exam options. This fee is waived for current UD students, UD alumni and military veterans.
College-Level Examination Program (CLEP): Individuals from the tri-state area are welcome to come to the ASC to take CLEP exams for credits that may transfer to colleges nationwide.
DSST (formerly DANTES Subject Standardized Tests): Over 30 credit-by-examination tests are available for students who wish to earn college credit for learning acquired outside the traditional classroom.
Proctoring Exams from Other Colleges: The ASC can also proctor college-level exams for members of the community. During the academic year, exams can be proctored 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. on Friday.
For more information on CLEP, DSST, or on proctoring exams from other colleges, please contact Kay Smith at 563.589.3262 or KASmith@dbq.edu.