Alternative & Fee-Based Testing
Alternative Testing Policy for University of Dubuque Students
A student is welcome to test in the Academic Success Center (ASC) when she/he meets one or more of the following criteria:
- A student has a documented disability and is eligible for a specific accommodation(s) for testing, based on an approved VISA (Verification of Individual Student Accommodations) letter. This VISA letter must be presented to a professor at the beginning of every semester.
- A student has an excused absence (e.g., health-related.) Documentation must be provided by Deb Runkle, medical coordinator.
- A student is taking a fee-based exam such as CLEP (College-Level Examination Program) or DSST to attempt to earn college credit.
Students and instructors must discuss how testing accommodations will be provided. Examples may include:
- The student may choose to take every exam in the ASC.
- The student and professor agree that the student will take only selected exams in the ASC.
- The professor is able to provide the required accommodations in their classroom/office for every exam; the student chooses to take all exams in the class/with the professor.
For any exam to be taken in the ASC:
- Must schedule a time to take the exam in the ASC at least three days in advance by contacting Kay Smith via the information below. If this procedure is not followed, testing in the ASC is not guaranteed.
- Must inform the professor, three days in advance of the exam, of their scheduled test time in the ASC.
- Must complete the information on the front page of the Exam Proctor Form (please copy both sides of the form): Proctoring Form
- Must provide a hard copy and, if necessary, Scantron forms (if paper/pencil test) for each exam to be proctored in the ASC.
- May drop off the exam in the ASC during the hours listed below. The exam should be received a minimum of two hours before the student’s scheduled test time.
- May send a completed electronic version of the Exam Proctor Form to KASmith@dbq.edu for electronic exams.
- Will receive via campus mail any exams remaining in the ASC one week after the end of the semester.
|To Schedule Exams:||Disability-Related Eligibility:||Medical-Related Eligibility:|
ASC Administrative Assistant
Myers Library, 2nd Floor, ASC
Disability Services Coordinator
Myers Library, 2nd Floor, Room 217
Testing Hours: Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. and Friday 8:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Testing will end promptly at the end times noted above. Any unfinished tests will be collected and will be considered complete. Please plan accordingly.
College-Level Examination Program (CLEP): Individuals from the tri-state area are welcome to come to the ASC to take CLEP exams for credits that may transfer to colleges nationwide.
DSST (formerly DANTES Subject Standardized Tests): Over 30 credit-by-examination tests are available for students who wish to earn college credit for learning acquired outside the traditional classroom.
Proctoring Exams from Other Colleges: The ASC can also proctor college-level exams for members of the community. During the academic year, exams can be proctored 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. on Friday. The fee for this service is $15.00 per exam.
For more information on CLEP, DSST, or on proctoring exams from other colleges, please contact Kay Smith at 563.589.3262 or KASmith@dbq.edu.