ASC - Writing Center
Welcome to the Writing Center!
The Writing Center is located within the Academic Success Center (ASC) on the second floor of Myers Library. The ASC hours during the academic year are 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. on Monday – Thursday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. on Friday, and 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. on Sunday.
The mission of the Writing Center of the University of Dubuque is to assist students to become self-determined, motivated, and independent writers over time. Whether working with students one-on-one or in small groups, our writing consultants aim to equip all writers with the confidence and strategies to engage successfully in the writing process.
In addition to two Professional Writing Consultants, we have several peer writing consultants who are carefully selected, trained, and supervised by the Writing Center professional staff and must meet the following qualifications:
- must have at least a sophomore standing
- must earn a minimum overall GPA of 3.0
- must receive a faculty recommendation letter that speaks to their writing abilities
As successful students, our peer consultants share their knowledge and love of writing, and they help establish a friendly, inclusive environment that fosters creativity and collaboration.
How Can You Make an Appointment?
The ASC uses a web-based appointment scheduling system known as WCOnline. This system allows students to view ASC professional/peer writing consultants' schedules and to make appointments at the students’ convenience. Below are a few basic steps to get you started:
Step 1: Register & Sign In
Go to https://dbq.mywconline.com/ to register for an account (only on your first visit) or to sign in. Once signed in, please select the Writing Center Schedule, if it is not the default schedule.
Step 2: Choose a Consultant & Select Time
- Click on an available, convenient timeslot (shown in white) and the appointment window will appear.
- Complete the questions asked, including appointment duration, and click on “Save Appointment.”
- A message will appear that the appointment was successfully made. You should also receive a confirmation email.
- If you wish to attach a draft for a consultant to review in advance of your appointment, please do the following:
1) create and save your appointment first,
2) then click on the yellow folder icon beneath the welcome message, and
3) upload your file as directed.
- If you have any other questions, please feel free to call the Academic Success Center at 563.589.3262.
Important Policies to Remember
You may cancel the appointment online up to one hour before its start time. Simply log-in to WCOnline, open the appointment you wish to cancel and click on “Cancel This Appointment.”
You may also cancel the appointment within one hour of its start time by calling 563.589.3262 or visiting the ASC.
If you fail to cancel your appointment or are more than 15 minutes late, you will be considered a “No-Show.” If you miss more than two appointments during a semester, you will no longer be able to make appointments online and will have to visit the ASC on a walk-in basis for the remainder of the semester.
Please Note: Students may still drop in to the ASC to receive assistance without an appointment, but writing consultant availability is not guaranteed.